H.C. LAKSHMIKANTH writes: Forget K.L. Saigal, forget Geeta Dutt, forget Kishore Kumar. Dr Raj Kumar was Indian cinema's finest singing star. Ever. No question about it.
From romantic ditties to devotional numbers, Dr Raj proved over and over again that he could sing most competently, as well as Dr P.B. Srinivas who did the playback for him before he took over the mike himself.
From the hundreds of songs he sang for his own films and for that of others in recent times, it is difficult to come up with a Top-10 list. Which is why we have a Top-11.
1) Naanaduva nudiye Kannada nudi (Gandhada Gudi)
2) Yaare koogadali (Sampathige Savaal)
3) Naa ninna mareyalaare (from the eponymous film)
4) Priyatame karuneya toreya (Kavi Ratna Kalidasa)
5) Banigondu elle yellide (Premada Kanike)
6) Ade kannu, ade kannu, bete aaduthide (Ade Kannu)
7) Chinnada mallige hoove (Huliya Haalina Mevu)
8) Aadisi nodu, beelisi nodu (Kasturi Nivasa)
9) Raaga, anuraaga, shubha yoge seride (Sanadi Appanna)
10) Huttidare Kannada naadinalli hutta beku (Aakasmika)
11) Baadihoda balli inda (Yeradu Kanasu)
Agree with this list? Disagree with this list? Have your own favourites? Enter the churumuri debate. Leave a comment.