BELLUR RAMAKRISHNA writes: Kannada cinema has lost both its eyes in the space of 44 months: Dr Raj Kumar in April 2006 and Dr Vishnuvardhan in December 2009.
I have compiled a list of similarities and differences between the ‘Natasarvabhouma‘ and the ‘Abhinava Bhargava‘ in their life and death.
1. Raj Kumar was born on the 24th: 2+4 =6; Vishnuvardhan was born on the 18th: 1+8 =9, both 6 and 9 are multiples of 3.
2. Raj Kumar died on the 12th: 1+2 =3; Vishnuvardhan died on the 30th: 3+0 =3, again multiples of 3.
3. Raj Kumar died in ‘06; Vishnuvardhan in ’09; both years are multiples of 3.
4. Raj Kumar died two days before new year’s day as per the Souramana calendar; Vishnuvardhan died two days before new year’s day in the Gregorian calendar.
5. Raj Kumar and Vishnuvardhan both died on Wednesday.
6. Muthuraju: 9 letters; Sampath Kumar: 12 letters, again both multiples of 3.
7. Raj Kumar was born on the 24th and died on the 12th, a difference of 12 days; Vishnuvardhan was born on the 18th and died on the 30th, again a difference of 12 days.
8. Raj Kumar died in Ramaiah hospital: Rajkumar and Ramaiah, both starting with R; Vishnuvardhan died in Vikram Hospital: Vishnuvardhan and Vikram, both starting with V.
9. Raj Kumar’s birth and death was in the same month, April; Vishnuvardhan’s birth and death was in the same city, Mysore.
10. Raj Kumar’s film career started in ’54: 5+4 = 9; Vishnuvardhan’s film career started in ’72: 7+2 = 9.
11. Raj Kumar received honorary doctorate from Mysore University in 1976, 22 years after his first film; Vishnuvardhan received honorary doctorate from Bangalore University in 2005, 33 years after his first film.
12. Raj Kumar’s 100th film was released in 1968; Vishnuvardhan’s 100th film was released in 1986.
13. Raj Kumar and Vishnuvardhan both took 14 years to reach the 100 film mark.
14. Both Raj Kumar and Vishnuvardhan died after a massive heart attack. Raj Kumar died on the 12th day; Vishnuvardhan died in the 12th month.
15. Raj Kumar was cremated in Kanteerava Studio, north Bangalore; Vishnuvardhan was cremated in Abhiman Studio, south Bangalore.
Tags: Abhiman Studio, Bangalore University, Churumuri, Dr Raj Kumar, Dr Vishnuvardhan, Gregorian Calendar, Kanteerava Studio, M.S. Ramaiah Hospital, Sans Serif, Souramana Calendar, University of Mysore, Vikram Hospital